ROCK HALL — The Maryland State Department of Education is again allowing school systems to designate a set number of virtual instruction days in the upcoming year.
In the 2023-24 school year, Kent County Public Schools will have the opportunity to use no more than eight virtual days.
The school system's proposed plan includes inclement weather days such as snow days, professional learning days and high school graduation day.
Kent County Public Schools offers two types of virtual instruction.
On synchronous virtual days, students use their school-issued devices for live online sessions with their teachers. Students are given a schedule for their virtual classes on these synchronous days.
On asynchronous days, students receive assignment packets to complete. They are to be returned to their teachers on the next in-school day.
Under the state guidelines for virtual day planning, school systems may set aside no more than three asynchronous days.
Kent County Public Schools administrators collaborated with teachers and staff to develop a plan that ensures meaningful and equitable virtual instruction.
Kent County Public Schools Proposed Virtual Plan:
• Dec. 21 is being converted to an asynchronous day to provide flexibility for families. Winter break begins Dec. 22.
• The March 28 early release day is being moved to March 27. March 28, which is the day before spring break, will be an asynchronous day.
• Kent County High School graduation day will be asynchronous to allow all staff to attend the ceremony.
• Nov. 8 will be converted to a synchronous day for a test run of virtual learning.
• The remaining four synchronous days will be used in the event of inclement weather.
Public comments and questions regarding the plan should be emailed to Dan Divilio, Kent County Public Schools public relations and communications specialist, at [email protected]
The public is also welcome to address the Kent County Board of Education during the public participation portion of the Monday, April 3 meeting.
The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. with the board immediately going into closed session. The public portion of the meeting will reconvene at 6:30 p.m.
Board of Education meetings are held in the Kent County Public Schools Central Office, 5608 Boundary Ave., Rock Hall.